Home

Printing on Metallic paper?

Posted By: Cyborg

Printing on Metallic paper? - 05/22/16 11:30 AM

Anyone have experience printing on metallic papers? like these: http://www.redrivercatalog.com/browse/photo-metallic-inkjet-glossy-media-paper-metal.html

Sounds interesting, but I'd like to see examples of actual photos on some of these papers.
Posted By: Greg

Re: Printing on Metallic paper? - 05/22/16 12:30 PM

Only seeing, not printing myself. Some old rusting cars in a Georgia wooded junk yard. They looked amazing. Not sure I'd use that paper for skin tones, but you never know.

Re: Printing on Metallic paper? - 05/25/16 12:22 AM

I may buy a pack and just experiment.

Re: Printing on Metallic paper? - 05/25/16 01:03 AM

That's crazy talk! wink

Re: Printing on Metallic paper? - 05/25/16 09:10 AM

Couldn't hurt to try some with your San Diego sunset photos.

Re: Printing on Metallic paper? - 05/30/16 01:50 PM

I wish they had a sample pack so as to try various paper types to see what works best.

Re: Printing on Metallic paper? - 05/30/16 04:29 PM

I feel the same way about cat food. At least you can return a bag for a refund at most pet stores.

Re: Printing on Metallic paper? - 05/30/16 04:34 PM

Wait!
sample packs

Re: Printing on Metallic paper? - 05/31/16 01:03 PM

Cool, thanks

Re: Printing on Metallic paper? - 05/31/16 04:28 PM

That company sells other sample packs for other types.of papers too.

Re: Printing on Metallic paper? - 05/31/16 09:46 PM

The company I posted in my first post is one that comes highly recommended, but I don't see where they have sample packs - unless I just missed it.

Re: Printing on Metallic paper? - 05/31/16 11:39 PM

I think you missed it. They have a sample button in red along the top of the page. They didn't specify what paper you'd get, but you could email them to see if metallic could be sampled. They do have add-ons to the sample packs.

Re: Printing on Metallic paper? - 06/02/16 11:30 AM

Originally Posted By Greg
I think you missed it. They have a sample button in red along the top of the page. They didn't specify what paper you'd get, but you could email them to see if metallic could be sampled. They do have add-ons to the sample packs.

I missed that, but I don't see there where they have samplers of just metallic paper. Maybe I'll shoot them an email. Or, they have a 20 pack of the Polar Pearl Metallic in 8 x 10 for just over $20. I might just try a pack of that. It seems to have very good reviews.

Re: Printing on Metallic paper? - 07/01/16 10:26 AM

Did you get a chance to contact Red River?

Re: Printing on Metallic paper? - 07/03/16 01:24 AM

Did you get a chance to contact Red River?

Yes, as a matter of fact I have ordered a 20 pack of 8 x 10 Polar Pearl Metallic paper. If I really like it, I may try a pack of 13 x 19 later (but that;s pretty pricy - this was only $21.

Re: Printing on Metallic paper? - 07/08/16 01:13 PM

My Red River Metallic Pearl paper came yesterday and I have so far printed one picture. It really makes the colors pop! I'm attaching the pictures that I printed first as a test.

Description: Vendor's Table in Santa Fe, NM
Attached File
rr_paper_test-1 copy.jpg  (9 downloads)

Re: Printing on Metallic paper? - 07/09/16 03:46 PM

That looks fantastic considering it is a photo of a print of a photo viewed on a monitor .

Re: Printing on Metallic paper? - 07/09/16 05:22 PM

That looks fantastic considering it is a photo of a print of a photo viewed on a monitor .

Actually what I uploaded was just a .jpg of the file from the camera - not a picture of the print.

Re: Printing on Metallic paper? - 07/09/16 08:29 PM

How much different does the metallic paper look from what you posted?

Re: Printing on Metallic paper? - 07/10/16 10:33 PM

How much different does the metallic paper look from what you posted?

Well, it looks more iridescent - the highlights really pop.

Re: Printing on Metallic paper? - 07/11/16 09:03 AM

I'll probably get some to try out. I haven't seen a side by side of metallic vs. white. Just one or the other as a finished product.

Re: Printing on Metallic paper? - 07/11/16 04:25 PM

I'll probably get some to try out. I haven't seen a side by side of metallic vs. white. Just one or the other as a finished product.

It really does look great, especially with picts that have lots of colors (or B&W with lots of contrasts)

Re: Printing on Metallic paper? - 09/10/16 10:27 AM

I just picked up some Moab Slickrock metallic pearl yesterday. Even after calibrating the paper, it still printed too dark. The reflectiveness of the paper may have fooled the calibration scanner. I'll try downloading their ICC profile to see if that makes a difference. It does give a 3D pop when looking at it from certain angles.

Re: Printing on Metallic paper? - 09/10/16 11:38 AM

I just picked up some Moab Slickrock metallic pearl yesterday. Even after calibrating the paper, it still printed too dark. The reflectiveness of the paper may have fooled the calibration scanner. I'll try downloading their ICC profile to see if that makes a difference. It does give a 3D pop when looking at it from certain angles.

I used their profile but ended up using the slider in Lightroom to make the picture lighter (this was the B&W print I did). When I just printed is as is it too came out too dark.
© 2024 Cytography