Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Filters for protection #548 02/12/17 02:38 PM
Cyborg Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
One of the more contentious topics that often crops up on many photog forums is whether or not to use UV filters (or any filter) for lens protection?

I used to be in the camp of using a UV filter as a means of cheap protection. Recently, however, as I have acquired more "good" glass, I have opted not to use a filter just for lens protection. I know the affect on IQ is negligible, but I have convinced myself that it does't make sense to put a cheap piece of glass in front of an expensive piece of glass. Instead, I always make sure I have a lens hood in place and let my lens live "naked."

Of course I'll use certain filters for specific purposes, such as a CP filter to reduce glare on water or windows, or to darken the sky a bit in landscapes or using an ND filter to get certain effects like for long exposure of water, etc. But as a general rule, I have stopped using UV filters just for protection.

Thoughts?

Re: Filters for protection [Re: Cyborg] #549 02/12/17 08:17 PM
Doc_E Offline
Only lens here without a UV filter is a 24mm Nikkor. And only because it vignettes the corners.

While in the retail business I made a pair of pliers into a "lens repair" tool. Two crescent shaped pieces of aluminum stock attached to the tips of the pliers, to straighten out the bent up threaded parts that came in the door. Never did it out in the open, it was leave the lens and we'll call you. That tool made money. wink

Reformed Photojournalist
Former USAF Phlyin' Photog
"The brave ones shot bullets, the crazy ones shot film!" --Joe Longo, WW-II Army Combat Camera
Re: Filters for protection [Re: Cyborg] #559 02/14/17 01:20 PM
G
Greg Offline
G
Originally Posted By Cyborg
I have convinced myself that it does't make sense to put a cheap piece of glass in front of an expensive piece of glass. Instead, I always make sure I have a lens hood in place and let my lens live "naked."

Thoughts?

But you've convinced yourself... wink
I shoot in two environments that have a lot of crap in the air, the ocean and the desert. I have had salt air fog my filter in a matter of minutes and last weekend, off road vehicles raised huge amounts of dust that I couldn't see through. Trying to clean a lens in the field is much harder than wiping off a filter.
If you look at the practical side, there are times you really need a filter and you should have at least one of every size to cover all your lenses. Same thing goes for hoods. But now your buying hoods to do a job that you already have covered by the filters.
For me, hoods have an inconvenience factor when you pack your gear. They take up more space in the bag if they are on the lens doing their job. Gotta take them off to pack, then put them back on to use. A filter just stays on.

Re: Filters for protection [Re: Cyborg] #573 02/15/17 05:21 PM
Doc_E Offline
Originally Posted By Greg
I shoot in two environments that have a lot of crap in the air, the ocean and the desert. I have had salt air fog my filter in a matter of minutes and last weekend, off road vehicles raised huge amounts of dust that I couldn't see through. Trying to clean a lens in the field is much harder than wiping off a filter.

That has always been my consideration, too. In most circumstances where I've been working outdoors, things happen quickly and cleaning a "disposable" filter with a shirt-tail or whatever else works, is much more desirable than rubbing away on a coated and expensive optic.

Reformed Photojournalist
Former USAF Phlyin' Photog
"The brave ones shot bullets, the crazy ones shot film!" --Joe Longo, WW-II Army Combat Camera

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 23 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod