Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Glad I do regular backups #591 02/17/17 03:12 PM
Cyborg Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
I keep all my photos and my Lightroom Catalog on an External portable hard drive. That way I can easily work on my pictures either on my iMac desktop or my MacBook Pro while I'm sitting watching TV or when I'm on the road.

This morning I was sitting in the living room with my MacBook on my lap and the portable drive plugged in processing some new pics. Suddenly my wife called me, "come quick you gotta see this!" (turns out it was a neighborhood cat stretching up to drink from the bird bath). I quickly moved my MBP to the table in front of me without thinking and, you guessed it, the portable drive hit the hardwood floor!

Luckily, the drive can still be read (I can still see and move/copy files) but when I plug it in now, I get an error that the drive is damaged and OS X can't repair it and that I can still read files but can't write to the disk. The warning says to do a full backup of the drive and re-format, which I'm in the process of doing now. In other words, I can see files and move them to another drive, but I can't write to the drive.

Thankfully, I do monthly backups of this drive and also I don't delete pictures from my CF and SD cards until I really need to, but always make sure I'm fully backed up to the "MyCloud Mirror" before I delete files from the cards. This way, if I do damage my portable hard drive to the point that I could not recover anything, I'd not lose any pictures, and in the worst case I might not have the latest LR catalog and may have to re-import from the cards and do some processing on a month's worth of pictures.

I'm currently doing a backup of the damaged drive to my "MyCloud Mirror" (RAID) drive and will re-format the portable drive, then re-copy everything. What a pain, but hopefully noting will have been lost.

Re: Glad I do regular backups [Re: Cyborg] #696 04/12/17 11:30 PM
N
nunyas Offline
journeyman
journeyman
N
nice, good thing the drive is still good. Even better that you maintain backups. You can never be too redundant when it comes to maintaining backups of data you'd rather not lose.

-Rob V
Re: Glad I do regular backups [Re: Cyborg] #709 04/16/17 01:14 AM
MikeMGB Offline
stranger
stranger
Many years ago I lost a hard drive that had no backup, since then I have gone over the top.

1: All my photographs are stored on a MyCloud server that continuously backs up to a portable hard drive plugged into it. Every couple of weeks or so I swap out the portable drive with another. The one not plugged in is kept in my desk drawer at work. The server and plugged in drive are in a fireproof safe in the house.

2: The photo folders on the server are duplicated on my Mac which uses time machine to back up to a portable drive permanently plugged into it.

3: All my SD cards are downloaded to a WD Passport drive before they are downloaded to my computers. I also take this drive when I travel and back up my cards to it every evening.

4: All my processed photos are uploaded to my Amazon Prime account, partly for backup, partly to use them as a screensaver on the TV's in the house.

5: All my processed photos are also copied to the hard drive of a PC I use to monitor my security cameras, this PC also uses them as a screen saver so they are being displayed all the time.

6: I tend to keep my photographs on the SD cards until the cards are about full.

To conclude, my images are on 7 different hard dives, one of which is always offsite, one cloud account and quite possibly an SD card as well. I haven't lost a photo in over 20 years. smile

Last edited by MikeMGB; 04/16/17 01:16 AM.

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 23 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod