Page 1 of 2 1 2
My most recent project in time lapse photography #732 05/01/17 07:19 PM
N
nunyas Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
N
This doesn't seem like it belongs in the gallery since it's a time lapse video. So, I'm sharing it here. I just installed hardwood floors in my house and documented most of the process w/ my camera's time lapse setting. The timing was set to 5s until 500 images were taken. If I did it again, I would have set it to 5s up to 1200 (almost to completely full SDCard and battery usage) images to improve coverage. Oh well. There's a noticeable "flicker" after the sun set each day; best I can figure is the ceiling fan's shadow on the ceiling altered the lighting enough that it changed the exposure of a lot of the pictures.

Anyways, 22,695 images were shot across 6 days (4 quarter days, and 2 full days). Playing back at 30 frames per second makes a 13 minute video.

-Rob V
Re: My most recent project in time lapse photography [Re: nunyas] #735 05/01/17 11:54 PM
G
Greg Offline
G
Fun video. Man, it's been a lot of years since I worked on hardwood flooring.

Re: My most recent project in time lapse photography [Re: nunyas] #736 05/02/17 11:18 AM
N
nunyas Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
N
Hopefully, it'll be a lot of years before I "have to" again :p

-Rob V
Re: My most recent project in time lapse photography [Re: nunyas] #737 05/02/17 11:21 AM
Doc_E Offline
The vid is neat but the enormous amount of work is more impressive, Rob. Wow. Congrats!

I see the cats were helping, too. Funny.

The climate here convinced me that tile was a better alternative.

Reformed Photojournalist
Former USAF Phlyin' Photog
"The brave ones shot bullets, the crazy ones shot film!" --Joe Longo, WW-II Army Combat Camera
Re: My most recent project in time lapse photography [Re: nunyas] #739 05/02/17 11:39 AM
Cyborg Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
That's a really neat idea - and good job on the floor! I wish I'd have thought of that when I installed Hardwood in our house. All I have are a few before and after stills.

Re: My most recent project in time lapse photography [Re: nunyas] #740 05/02/17 01:51 PM
N
nunyas Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
N
Thanks for the comments smile

I probably would have gone w/ engineered or tile flooring, if I was on a slab foundation, because in the spring I've seen epoxied garage floors around here sweat like a glass of ice water on a hot day. That kind of moisture would not be good if it got trapped under a wood floor. As it is, I'm above a moisture controlled crawl space.

Recording the process was pretty fun. There were moments when the time lapse finished but I didn't know, and as a result missed recording a difficult task or two. For example, I had to remove a plank after it had been nailed down and I had started the next course, and then having to find another plank (or two planks as it turned out) to fit into the space of the one I removed.

Installing the floor on the other hand... that was a bit less fun. However, it feels like I accomplished something, and that feels good smile

I think I'm going to shoot time lapse for the eclipse this summer.

-Rob V
Re: My most recent project in time lapse photography [Re: nunyas] #741 05/02/17 02:25 PM
Cyborg Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted By nunyas
Thanks for the comments smile

I probably would have gone w/ engineered or tile flooring, if I was on a slab foundation, because in the spring I've seen epoxied garage floors around here sweat like a glass of ice water on a hot day. That kind of moisture would not be good if it got trapped under a wood floor. As it is, I'm above a moisture controlled crawl space.

Recording the process was pretty fun. There were moments when the time lapse finished but I didn't know, and as a result missed recording a difficult task or two. For example, I had to remove a plank after it had been nailed down and I had started the next course, and then having to find another plank (or two planks as it turned out) to fit into the space of the one I removed.

Installing the floor on the other hand... that was a bit less fun. However, it feels like I accomplished something, and that feels good smile

I think I'm going to shoot time lapse for the eclipse this summer.

I did my entire house (except kitchen and bath which I tiled) in 2-1/2 wide 3/4 inch solid oak flooring. I did one room at a time and it took a about a year or so to get it all done ( was working full time and traveled a lot so had to do a little hear and a little there). Mine is on a slab, but we live in fairly dry climate. I first pulled up the carpet, then had to "level" the slab (fill in some low spots). Then I put down a few mills of moisture barrier, then 3/4" Plywood which I nailed to the slab with a powder-activated concrete nail gun. Then of course I laid the flooring, which I nailed with a air-powered flooring nailer that I bought for $99 at Harbor Freight (best $99 I ever spent).

Attached Files
Living Room Before copy.jpg (577.2 KB, 2 downloads)
Living room before
7D_10_18mm_First_Livingroom.jpg (192.26 KB, 18 downloads)
Living Room After
Master Bed Before.jpg (1.42 MB, 0 downloads)
Master Bed After.jpg (1.83 MB, 0 downloads)
Re: My most recent project in time lapse photography [Re: nunyas] #742 05/03/17 12:59 PM
N
nunyas Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
N
yeah, going in on slab would have doubled the work i had to do, I think...

Looks good! Also, think it was wise to not do wood in the "wet" rooms.

My bathrooms and laundry are already tile. I need to pull the linoleum up and replace that w/ tile eventually. But to do that right, I'll also need to pull the base cabinets and raise them about a half inch over their current height. Maybe next year...

-Rob V
Re: My most recent project in time lapse photography [Re: nunyas] #743 05/03/17 02:58 PM
Cyborg Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted By nunyas
yeah, going in on slab would have doubled the work i had to do, I think...

Looks good! Also, think it was wise to not do wood in the "wet" rooms.

My bathrooms and laundry are already tile. I need to pull the linoleum up and replace that w/ tile eventually. But to do that right, I'll also need to pull the base cabinets and raise them about a half inch over their current height. Maybe next year...

When we bought our house, the bathrooms were all carpet and the kitchen was linoleum (yuck). Now those rooms are tile (except the master bath is half tile and half carpet - the parts where water leakage is a danger are tile, but kept the other half carpet.

Re: My most recent project in time lapse photography [Re: nunyas] #775 06/01/17 01:15 AM
N
number6 Offline
N
Very cool and a nice job. I remember doing a time lapse film using a Kodak super 8 movie camera. Came out very shaky as there was no
auto exposure. Had to manually press the button. Came out OK though
despite the fact it was done crudely. I think I will try it when I replace the dash board in the Triumph Spitfire. Will also give me a record of how it looked before I start and help getting things back in original position.

Number 6 from the Village,
Be seeing you.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 35 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod