Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Will iPhones be the end of Point and Shoot cameras #80 05/17/16 01:08 PM
Cyborg Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
My wife has a small Canon S5 IS (only 8 MP) but it has lots of features and takes decent pictures. However, she seldom uses it and prefers to just take snaps with he iPhone and/or iPad Mini. Which leads to the question in the subject line.

Re: Will iPhones be the end of Point and Shoot cameras [Re: Cyborg] #81 05/17/16 03:32 PM
G
Greg Offline
G
It has for me, though I have a Samsung phone. Last point and shoot I bought was in 2002 if memory serves me.

Re: Will iPhones be the end of Point and Shoot cameras [Re: Cyborg] #82 05/17/16 03:47 PM
Cyborg Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Maybe Canon and Nikon, etc., should start putting phones in their cameras smile

Re: Will iPhones be the end of Point and Shoot cameras [Re: Cyborg] #83 05/17/16 09:27 PM
G
Greg Offline
G
With WIFI enabled DSLRs, it wouldn't be much of a leap to put a web browser in them. Direct Instagram.

Re: Will iPhones be the end of Point and Shoot cameras [Re: Cyborg] #84 05/18/16 01:32 AM
S
Steve Offline
stranger
stranger
S
I've got the latest iPhone..... Hate to say it but it's more fun to use as a camera than any camera I've owned...

Re: Will iPhones be the end of Point and Shoot cameras [Re: Cyborg] #85 05/18/16 07:33 PM
Cyborg Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
i phones today do take decent pictures, but you can't do the kind of things (depth of field), change focal length, etc like you can with a good DSLR. I can see iPhones putting a big dent in point and shoot cameras, but I would never give up my two DSLRs.

Re: Will iPhones be the end of Point and Shoot cameras [Re: Cyborg] #86 05/19/16 02:37 AM
S
Steve Offline
stranger
stranger
S
Well....yes, but no. There are apps and post processing capabilities that make the phone more than equal (in most applications) to the digital DSLR. It bums me out too. I just dropped real money on a Canon 7dMKII and a pricey lens to boot. Sadly, but thankfully (contradiction is a part of life) the iPhone takes FANTASTIC pics. The DSLR feels like my toy and the phone is really more my tool now. Again, I'm not happy about it, but thats' just the way it has worked out.

I still feel like there's film and then there's digital. Film = skill, digital = whatever. If you want to impress me, go back to film. Then again, a good pic is a good pic...

Re: Will iPhones be the end of Point and Shoot cameras [Re: Steve] #87 05/19/16 02:17 PM
Cyborg Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Originally Posted By Steve
Well....yes, but no. There are apps and post processing capabilities that make the phone more than equal (in most applications) to the digital DSLR. It bums me out too. I just dropped real money on a Canon 7dMKII and a pricey lens to boot. Sadly, but thankfully (contradiction is a part of life) the iPhone takes FANTASTIC pics. The DSLR feels like my toy and the phone is really more my tool now. Again, I'm not happy about it, but thats' just the way it has worked out.

I still feel like there's film and then there's digital. Film = skill, digital = whatever. If you want to impress me, go back to film. Then again, a good pic is a good pic...

Well, I don't feel that way at all. I too have the Canon 7D Mark II and with a 150-600 Sigma Super Tele lens. Try going to Bosque Del Apache wild life refuge and popping off birds in flight at several hundred yards at 10 frames per second with your iPhone. Isn't gonna happen. The iPhone is a good tool for taking snapshots, but I don't see it replacing a DSLR with high-quality optics. The iPhone has very tiny sensor with limited optics. Yes, it can take decent pictures within certain limitations.

Re: Will iPhones be the end of Point and Shoot cameras [Re: Cyborg] #166 05/27/16 08:56 PM
Doc_E Offline
I doubt Nat Geo would accept a photo spread shot with an in-phone camera. But on the other hand I've a friend of fifty+ years who has published a book of images (of his cats, no less) all taken with his 'phone: http://www.jayspeyerer.com/product.htm

No financial affiliation... I had to buy it, too. wink

The images are perfectly acceptable for the size and format of the book.

Reformed Photojournalist
Former USAF Phlyin' Photog
"The brave ones shot bullets, the crazy ones shot film!" --Joe Longo, WW-II Army Combat Camera
Re: Will iPhones be the end of Point and Shoot cameras [Re: Doc_E] #167 05/28/16 01:07 PM
Cyborg Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Originally Posted By Doc_E
I doubt Nat Geo would accept a photo spread shot with an in-phone camera. But on the other hand I've a friend of fifty+ years who has published a book of images (of his cats, no less) all taken with his 'phone: http://www.jayspeyerer.com/product.htm

No financial affiliation... I had to buy it, too. wink

The images are perfectly acceptable for the size and format of the book.

Don't get me wrong, today's iPhones take very nice images within certain limitations. But you are not going to have the same level of creative possibilities with a camera that has a 1/4 " lens and a very tiny sensor compared to what you can do with a DLSR and a very good piece of professional glass. Try doing this with an iPhone.

Attached Files
21204503929_b906673aef_o.jpg (341.35 KB, 13 downloads)
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 23 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod